Wisconsin, You Sly Fox

Friday, September 28, 2012


Tonight the teenagers at our church were having an activity and playing Pictionary. I watched as some of them couldn't figure out how in the world they were going to draw their word (e.g. "business" -- how in the heck do you get somebody to guess that?). Watching them I remembered playing the game at a Leadership Retreat the summer before my senior year of high school. I was given the word: "Wisconsin" and after creating a pathetic outline of the United States I suddenly realized that I didn't really know where Wisconsin was??? In the space of a few seconds I a) developed a strong dislike for the allusive state, b) started to sweat profusely, and c) kind of made a vague sweeping circle that caused my teammates to call out, "Montana" and "Wyoming." Future Leader material. Snap.  

My kids already have a better idea of where Wisconsin is then I did as a 17-year old because of a very simple decorating decision -- we have a tattered cheap-o map taped to the wall under the counter where they eat breakfast every morning. Often when we are reading, or talking about a trip, or watching a movie the kids will go and reference the torn, food-splattered map. Having it immediately accessible is the key to its usefulness. It's not aesthetically appealing, but it looks better than a kid standing in front of a chalk board puzzling over where an entire state disappeared to -- because its whereabouts are not surfacing in his/her brain. 

The kids have also have been working with a puzzle of the states.




This year we are going to make sure that our understanding of state locations is secure, as well as what the capitals and major cities are in each state. We will then move on to conquer the rest of the world.