As It Should Be

Wednesday, October 31, 2012


Happy Nevada Day. Both of my kids were born in Nevada -- The Girl being just a few months old when we moved across the country. Every October 31st, we go over the facts as I have come to know them: Battle Born is the motto having become a state during the Civil War -- 1864 -- in order to help Lincoln win the election one week later (turns out he didn't need the help after all... so Nevada was born out of necessity, but ultimately unnecessarily...). State mammal: Big Horn Sheep; state bird: Mountain Blue Jay (both displayed on the Nevada socks I proudly wear every year). I have yet to go into the nuclear testing, or the fact that it was known primarily as the divorce capital of this great nation. They do know that our piano was in The Mapes so it could have been played by a member of the Rat Pack. There really are cool, if often mob-related, parts to Nevada's history. 

This year I tried to get the kids to sing along to "Home Means Nevada" -- we looked at this clip of The Killers singing it, and this clearly more awesome clip. I also texted my friends for the lyrics to the song that we sang in elementary school -- one of my friends delivered ("My name is just Nevada I was born in '64, I have the cash to pay my way with a million tons of ore. I have the bluest mountaintops that ever you did see. My site is light, my record bright, I stand for liberty. Here's how you spell it: N-E-V-A-D-A..."). When the text came in with the lyrics we were out walking, and so all down Central Park West I was like: repeat after me... The kids were like: ehhhh. As it should be. Home probably doesn't mean Nevada to them. A part of their history, yes, but home not so much. The above picture was given to me by my friend that I've had since 3rd-grade -- it was painted by her brother -- and the canvas portion is painted the perfect, bright cornflower blue that is the color of the sky that I've only ever seen in Nevada. It's washed out by the filter that I sent it through on purpose. You have to experience it for yourself. 

Aside from our Nevada lesson, we did some math, writing, reading, piano and went to the New York Historical Society. It is a fabulous place. Apparently the school children of NYC will be out of school for the entire week (some of the moms have been like: I'm going crazy! I'm like: tell me about it!), so the society has thrown open its doors to the families of the city and today was pay-what-you-can, with proceeds going to Hurricane Sandy relief funds (I believe the rest of the week children are free). 

There is an exhibit running now about what NYC specifically did for the war effort during WWII. The thing that I found most interesting and tried to discuss with the moppets was how people used whatever their skills were to meet the needs of the war. Two far out examples: 1) The Arms and Armor department from the Met designed helmets and armor for the military by pulling from the knowledge that they had acquired by working with the different types of ancient armor. 



2) Maiden Form -- yes, the brassiere company -- created the special pouches (cups) used to carry the war pigeons... apparently a pigeon shape is similar... 



If there is one thing that my kids will hopefully believe after this year it's this: it is not expedient or natural that everybody should know and be experts in the exact same things... We all have different passions and inclinations and when we follow them and let them breathe the contributions that we will be able to make will be limitless. The resilience of our country is based on our diverse ways and understandings... Perhaps that is my biggest gripe about how standardized-test-oriented our schools are. Anyway.

The movie that is free with admission is definitely worth seeing, and the cute scavenger hunt that takes the kids throughout the entire museum (different from one that only focuses on the children's area) is worth doing.



Halloween was indeed subdued, as it should be. There are people just a few miles away suffering. We went with some friends and trick-or-treated throughout our building (taking the stairs and elevator... certainly not how we did it growing up in Nevada), and then we walked down to a street that is usually shut off and mobbed with people. There were crowds certainly, but again, nothing like it usually is. 




As my kids did their sorting (the best part of Halloween for sure) I was happy for them. Earlier I had considered showing them the picture I saw online of children trick-or-treating in an emergency shelter, but often it's a fine line between teaching compassion/gratitude and guilt/fear. The lesson I'd rather that they hold on to from today is the find-and-use-your talents one. We will each have our own experiences -- sometimes they will be brilliant blue Western skies -- and sometimes they will be Eastern hurricanes. We will be in the best position to help others during hard times if we've developed our talents and honed our skills, for then we will have something of substance to offer. Bless those who have something to offer right now. The best I could do tonight was let my kids enjoy their Halloween.