Smattering of Bologna and Sugar

Monday, November 19, 2012


Today some fun gals invited me to attend the taping of Live With Kelly and Michael. Interesting because a) I've never had the slightest interest to attend and b) if not doing the scheme attendance would not be possible because the folks line up for it at the exact time we walk to school.  In fact, for the last four years we passed by the line just about every morning, and while tourists looked through the glass at our family as though on display at the zoo (yes, there are schools here... and kids with backpacks who walk to them...), I thought: why would anybody want to go to that show?

And today, I was there. Just because. If you happen to think that it is slightly phony and plastic, I can tell you that you are wrong.  It is grossly phony and plastic. At one point I actually fantasized about telling all the people tittering at the banter to knock the heck off because they were encouraging the propagation of bologna/the dumbing down of America. But I slipped off my high horse and just enjoyed the fun company I was with.

One of the guests was a "hunky" (my friend's word) zoologist who brought some animals. I immediately felt sad that my kiddos weren't there to enjoy the critters. I came home and shared the facts as I remembered them, and then found the clip online for them to watch. Perhaps one of the most interesting concepts that I'll remember is the adaptation of ear size. Animals in hot climates often have large ears because as the blood flows through the thin skin it loses heat and helps cool the animal. Conversely, animals in cold regions often have small ears, so the heat isn't lost. That's interesting, right? Not as interesting as the story I told them that they cracked up over...

There was a man sitting in front of my group that had somewhat of a Newman-like vibe (I'm talking the Seinfeld-variety Newman, not the Paul...). During one of the commercial breaks when we were suffering through the banter Michael said something like: "Did you hear what he [hunky zoologist] just said about the mandrills? The redder the butts, the more attractive they are." To which Newman said, "That's motivation for me to take a hot shower." It's truly mind-blowing how quickly a visual of a person coming out of a shower with a bright red bum can pop into your head. 

While chatting with my friends, I mentioned that this weekend after seeing the Columbus Circle public art (finally -- the hurricane sabotaged our original ticket date), we were walking down Central Park West and saw a K-9 unit parked. Last year I think that we would have taken an inconspicuous peek and continued walking. This year I am so fine-tuned to find opportunities and experiences I struck up a conversation with the officer and before we could say Rin Tin Tin he had the dog out of his crate for a more intimate introduction. He chatted with us about the dog, but also about things like growing up in the city. Of course the kids liked the dog (he can go straight up ladders!), but later when we were still talking excitedly about the experience, they were equally happy about how funny and kind the officer was. I hope that the scheme has forever changed me into a person who consistently takes an extra step out of my comfort zone, for I'm starting to think that that is where a lot of great connections happen. 




This weekend we also took the kids to see Lincoln. I'm not sure I would have made that choice on my own, but after reading an article in the Times, The Dad felt that it would be good for the entire family. This has always been his parenting style -- the throw the spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks school of thought. I will say that when people ask us how we are able to take our kids places when we travel, I usually reply: "We have been building up their boredom-resistance since they were born." So, yes, they were bored. And yes, because of the K-9 thing we got to the theatre late, so ended up sitting in the front row, and yes there were a couple of gory parts... oh, and there was one potty joke (that I will posit was pretty awesome... I'll never look at a portrait of George Washington the same). That having been said, as we discussed the movie over lunch (we held their Levain cookie hostage until they offered up some critical analysis) I realized that the kids picked up on some great details and had some really insightful questions (like: "Why didn't Lincoln like his oldest son very much?"). Perhaps the lesson I was most grateful we discussed was: even great parents don't always act like great parents; even great men/women don't always know what is right; even cowards can have moments of greatness. If it's true that this is the age when my kids' characters and world views are being formed, I will -- without reservation -- assert that this movie is worth throwing into the mix. 

Other than the curriculum I brought home today from LIVE, we also had a regularly scheduled day. The Girl capped it off with a special activity -- "book club" at Sugar and Plumm with a favorite friend and her mom. The girls were a bit shy and looked to each other for answers some times, but overall what they retained was impressive, as were their attempts to stay in the game. They were cute... honest... tender-hearted. They both want to continue the club, and I anticipate that their capacities for critical thinking while with their giggle-companion will improve (being able to think clearly while with a giggle-buddy really is an incredibly useful skill).