Movie Reviews

Monday, January 14, 2013


So I was a Marx Brothers maiden -- deflowered by Groucho, Chico and Harpo last Friday. At least I think I was? If not, the first time around wasn't so memorable. 

Of course I knew the general gist of their schtick, but as it turns out, my understanding was very general. For example, I didn't realize that there was so much quality (for the time -- perhaps a bit melodramatic by today's standards) singing/dancing thrown in. Nor did I realize that there were a lot of cultural/social things that they were messing with. (Here's a cool clip of a jazz/swing scene that combines both those things). Yes, there is the slapstick that I was expecting, but there's just as much clever satire (probably quite a bit that is so clever I didn't even see it/get it). They were the Stephen Colberts and Jon Stewarts of their time. Well worth watching. 

But you don't have to take my word for it...

Friday the kids watched A Night at the Opera -- a holiday gift from their piano goddess (we *heart* our piano teacher), and then Saturday we went to the film center and watched A Day at the Races. The kids then wrote papers comparing and contrasting the two.  Here are their working drafts:

1.

The Fascination of the Marx Brothers

     I like the Marx brothers movies! Both of the movies I saw, A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races are similar because both have the same brothers, both have a lot of sparky songs, and the police are involved in both of the movies. 
     A funny part in A Night at the Opera is at the end of the show when Grouch-o, Chick-o, and Harp-o are running from the police. Finally, the police catch the Marx brothers, but the opera manager lets them go. The funniest part in A Day at the Races is when Harp-o is playing the flute and all the people are are pointing at Harp-o and are saying, "Who's that man?"
     I was thinking that if I was the director I would have the dancers wear more modest clothes because some of the dancers were just wearing skinny underwear.
     You should watch both movies like I did. There is alot of funny parts like when Chick-o and Harp-o are covering Grouch-o in wall paper in The Day of the Races. I want you to watch both movies, just like Uncle Sam wanted people for the U.S. Army, and if you watch both movies I believe you will just love them.

2.

Movie 1 Verses Movie 2

     Today we are going to see what Marx Brothers movie was better, A Night at the Opera or A Day at the Races.
     The first thing I will talk about is animal cruelty. Movie one had no animals, so no animal cruelty. Movie 2 had horses and they were beating them. One point for Movie 1.
     The second thing I'm going to talk about is indecent exposure. Some of the dresses in the second movie were inappropriate and in the first movie a lady's dress fell off. No points awarded.
     The third thing I am going to talk about is excitement. The first one was good, but the second one was so exciting because we wanted to see who is going to win the race. One point for the second movie.
     The fourth thing I am going to talk about is what movie is more funny. I think the first one was because there were two people and they were both geting each other presents and they both brought each other salomies. One more point for Movie 1.
     The last thing I am going to talk about is the backgrounds. The first movie was in the city and the second was in the country. One point for each of them. The first movie has three points and the second movie has 1 point. You should watch them both and see whitch one you like better. 
     
I also think that kids' writing is worth reading -- they should do lots and lots of it and practice spilling their ideas and experimenting with what words/strategies best express what they are trying to say. I always thought more writing should come home from school. 

 ("Why a four year old child could understand this. Run out and get me a four year old child, I can't make head or tail out of it. -Groucho Marx).