If You're Going to Homeschool, Attend Good Concerts

Wednesday, February 13, 2013


Today had some very jagged moments. My heart got sucker punched watching a social interaction between my naive and quirky boy and two ultra-cool older boys. Later at home there was a screaming match refereed by the Math Demon (not to be confused with Matt Damon). 

I was invited to a Lyric concert tonight. Getting myself pulled together and out the door was about the last thing that I felt like doing. But I went. Walking over with my friend I found out that she had had a junky day, too, but she was convinced that the concert would be good for us. The level of virtuosity was mesmerizing, so, as my friend predicted, it did what  art does -- it elevated me. Out of the darkness of the day, the music pulled out a pin-point of light that happened this morning: I was ironing, The Boy was sitting on the floor reading, and I recalled something that I had heard recently:

"Out of curiosity, if somebody asked you what three words your parents would use to describe you, what would you answer?" Me
"I. Love. You." Him

He might not be as socially savvy as other kids, but he's an original, and he has a sweet heart.

Happy Valentine's Eve.