April's Proving Funny

Thursday, April 4, 2013


Dodo

By [Judd the Red Chicken]

If I had a dodo I would name it Frodo
or Toto it would
sit right in my lap no barking or frolicking
around.  If I only had a dodo
If we only did not hunt or pollute them off I would 
have one to pet a lot
I would never grow tired of the old mire
If I only had a dodo

I've left the spawn totally on their own with a notebook and the direction that there is to be a poem a day for the month of April. Today I heard some of them. Folks, we might be sacrificing quality here for quantity. It's like: Shel Silverstein was brilliant as Shel Silverstein, but kids trying to be like Shel Silverstein just end up writing kind of lame little poems. Not that I don't appreciate the ode to the dodo, it's just that I think they can can push themselves a bit more. I will say that the two of them cracking each other up with their randomness was cute.

Here's one of The Girl's little gems that made her giggle while she was reading it:

Mice [So much for all the lessons on writing provocative titles]

the mice in our kitchen
are not so nice
they live under our sink
they are like little minks
if we leave food on the counter
in the morning it's gone

we stopped putting food on the counter
the mice have gone
but I heard our neighbor has mice now

In case you're wondering if perhaps the hidden value of this is that it is memoir, it is not -- we don't have mice, nor have we had mice... We did have a hefty-haunched rat once in a different apartment... Oh, and The Sister thought it would be HILARIOUS to scatter raisins along the baseboard in the bathroom on April Fool's Day. The joke was on her that she didn't get to see me with my bad morning hair and blurry eyes squinting and twitching, as I gingerly grabbed a wipe to retrieve a sample. Haha-hahahaha. 

Hilarious poetry. Faux mouse poop. It's a laugh a minute around here.