Again, With the Chickens

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

[Missing my automatic thousand words.]

My phone (i.e. the means by which I get the pictures for this blog) is hooked up to the computer, as my resident teenager attempts to trouble-shoot the error message I keep getting when I try to download all of my pictures. Just so it's clear: the disdain that I often feel towards technology is reciprocated. 

And just so it's also clear: yes, I know it's ridiculous to suddenly decide to do big projects (i.e. finally get the billions of pictures off my phone) right before a major trip. I just thought: hey, we don't already have ten thousand things to do -- why don't we get caught in the middle of something really frustrating late at night so we can hate each other, and the rest of the world, tomorrow... 

I usually consider myself more of a word-person than a visual one, yet having this past year stream past me as I was attempting to download the pictures has filled me with something akin to gorilla glue. You apply it and the next minute it's all enormous and has filled every cranny and has adhered and bonded and connected... and stuff.  This is going nowhere.


Look at that. I just saved this post from saccharine introspection on how babies grow, time goes by, and we need to hold it with both hands. And how for all my kvetching about technology, having such easy and constant means to have pictures is a great gift... Because I just emembered that today my spawn clucked and chuckled happily as they looked at some pictures that I downloaded straight to my laptop from my email. Our friend o' the chickens thoughtfully sent along photos to show us how our darlings are doing (so yes, that is essentially a stolen photo -- fingers crossed litigation doesn't ensue...). A couple of days ago she sent an email and mentioned that one of the chicks turned out to be a rooster. Both kids immediately agreed on which one it had to be. Today they kept saying things like, "I knew he'd be a rooster -- you could just tell by his mannerisms." And: "When you spend some time with them, you just know." My kids clicked through the photos with pride, and perhaps just a tinge of longing for the old days (read: about two months ago). 

They were just these babies. Can you believe how strong and glossy and grown up they are? Babies grow, time goes by, and we need to hold it with both hands...