Good People Live in the Buildings Around Here

Thursday, May 2, 2013


Our family friend found out about a neat book that was coming out, pre-ordered a copy for us, and dropped it by our apartment the very day it came. All just because she's awesome. To come home and have the doorman hand you an unexpected present is a lovely thing. To have friends that know your interests and do thoughtful things to support them is truly sublime (rabbit hole alert! I just thought, Hey Sublime! I haven't thought about that band for a while!...The Boy might like that band...  a lot of his little ditties around here have a ska-like cadence... so I youtubed... and it brought back a lot of memories... aaaaand considering the trajectories of most music-makers I became even more convinced that we must develop more of The Boy's talents other than garage-band-like singing/dancing (...and Ukrainian egg decorating...)). The book:



The note: "Dear -- When I saw this book, it made me think of you. I hope you will go on another adventure with me to see some of these buildings and we'll see if Mr. James Gulliver Hancock drew them correctly. Love, --"

As an art activity we created our "thank you's" -- using Hancock's style we went across the street from our friend's building and sketched with pen, and then went home and added watercolor.