Learning About Time (#6 on Top Ten List)

Friday, August 31, 2012



I would like the opportunity for us to learn how to learn. Lately it’s been feeling like we were doing stuff to get by: perfunctory piano practice; hasty homework; chores after considerable chiding… If an interesting idea or word came up while reading, the suggestion to dig out the dictionary didn’t spark curiosity, but hatred. 

I am absolutely certain that almost every teacher that I’ve ever met would LOVE to foster children to follow interests along twists and turns, but who has time?  With the core standards, the state tests, and the large class sizes their jobs are enormous.  I’m actually amazed and uplifted by the amount of enrichment and encouragement that my kids have been given.  The fact that I worry that there’s a get-it-done-get-it-done-okay-good-enough-time-to-move-on-culture at school is actually a beef with the DOE and current societal sensibilities, not with teachers or public school.

Example: there was a time when a child would go to the school library and have a very tactile experience while looking up books in the card catalogue.  Once the card was selected, the book was hunted down, and a different card taken from a pocket on the title page upon which the child had to sign her name (an action that said: I am taking responsibility – my name is currency), then walk up to the librarian and hand him the card (contract, if you will) while stating first and last name so that the card could be filed accordingly.  Things changed.  Fine.  I’m not done weeping in my pillow over the loss of card catalogues, but I have accepted that computers can keep up inventory, blah, blah. 

When I started volunteering in the library I was pleased that the children were expected to tell me their first and last name when checking out a book so I could click accordingly and scan the barcode on the back of the book.  It was a quasi-social lesson, a very brief public speaking stint.  It was sweet when the time came when I could remember a name, and a bit of a bond was created.  

A plan presented for the future in order to get-it-done faster?  The kids will each have a shelf card with a barcode on it (that will pull up their name), so they will need only to hand their shelf card and book to the person checking out and it can be: scan-scan, next, scan-scan, next.  I know I’m not the only one that feels like it’s a cold idea, so hopefully a social exchange will not be sacrificed to the god of efficiency, but it illustrates the point that “smart” and “progressive” seem to always be linked with “efficient” and “fast.”  I feel that an authentic learning process usually isn’t efficient. 


So if school needs to be efficient for obvious reasons, where can passionate, curiosity-driven learning happen… if by the time they are home from school, and free of homework, we are about tapped out?   Curiosity is often mental meandering; finding purpose usually happens after considerable bumbling about.

And now it’s time to make a muddle of this. I’m saying that time should be thrown out the window, right?  No.  I also believe that there’s an important companion to this – personal time-management.  I want my kids to learn that if they have an hour and have A and B to accomplish they must figure out how that works.  Instead of being kept on task (which needs to happen at school for obvious reasons), I want them to realize that there are consequences to spending too much time on any one thing.  If they choose to spend the entire hour on B, I want them to own up to the consequence of not getting A accomplished.  Put another way, I hope they learn to either a) find balance in their lives, or b) be courageous enough to say that A wasn’t valuable to them (or B was crazy-valuable -- because it was passion-driven), so the consequence will be taken like a (wo)man of character.   

Tall order for anybody, let alone a seven and nine-year old.  I’m not saying that any of this is going to happen while we home school, but the value that I put on it did indeed help me make the decision.  That’s why it’s number six on our list of top ten reasons – it’s valuable, but perhaps too far-reaching to earn a higher ranking.