Truth in Glam Rock (#8)

Wednesday, August 29, 2012



Have you seen The Race to Nowhere?  Do.  It’s your homework. 

My kids sat in school from 8:30 am to 3:10 five days a week.  They had one recess that was 20 minutes tops (yes, mothers stand behind trees and time the recesses… a topic for another time).  They had gym once a week... 

“Mom, can we go to the park?”  
“Not today – we should get going with your homework.”  
(Because otherwise when are we supposed to a) bathe b) have dinner together as a family c) practice piano d) read books e) do a flippin' chore f) play with toys to wind down...?  Riddle me that.)

Kids should not have homework before middle school – and then it should be minimal, preparatory for legitimate (but reasonable) homework in high school. 

Tell me to read with them, have them write letters to pen-pals, suggest math games, whatever… but homework?  Dumb.  In the inspired words of the oft-quoted Twisted Sister – we’re not gonna take it.

Number eight on the list: NO FREAKIN’ HOMEWORK. 

(I took the picture above when I was volunteering in the kids’ library last year.  Made me giggle.)